The International Cocoa Initiative has produced materials to support child labour and forced labour awareness raising.
ICI has produced a training manual to help practitioners and actors carry out their work against the Worst Forms of Child Labour (WFCL) in an effective and professional manner. The manual is designed to:
- Help practitioners enhance the effectiveness of their actions against WFCL in the field;
- Provide technical and methodological tools to all involved in the training of actors in combating WFCL;
- Stimulate discussion among the various actors in order to constantly improve the tools and methods described;
- Contribute to the debate on the evolution and implementation of stakeholder participation in the process of eliminating WFCL.
Download the training manual (pdf, 2MB)
Child labour pamphlet
This document includes information on hazardous activities, preventive and remedial actions, an explanation of children’s rights and definitions related to child labour.
Download the pamphlet (pdf, 6MB)
Hazardous child labour activities in the cocoa sector posters
These posters are designed to raise awareness of hazardous tasks for children. They include the potential consequences of hazardous tasks and good practices to follow. They cover the following topics:
- Clearing of forest and felling trees
- Bush burning
- Exposure to agro-chemicals
- Using sharp tools
- Climbing trees
- Carrying loads
Download the posters (pdf, 17MB)
This flipbook contains information on “Eliminating the worst forms of child labour in the cocoa sector”. It is a practical training tool to raise awareness amongst those involved in the cococa sector, farmers, community members and others. It covers five key areas:
- The perception of the child in traditional African societies as compared to international standards
- The rights and responsibilities of children and obligations of parents
- The perception of child labour in traditional African societies
- The key concepts relating to child labour
- The causes and consequences of child labour on the health, safety and holistic development of the child
Download the flipbook (pdf, 23MB)
Forced labour awareness-raising animation
This short awareness-raising animation explores the topic of forced labour. Unfortunately, forced labour is a real problem in many regions of the world today affecting many agricultural sectors, including those in Sub-Saharan Africa. In cocoa, while it has been documented to be quite rare and localised, it is still a potential risk that needs to be addressed. This film is designed to broaden the understanding of what constitutes forced labour, what its indicators are, what factors can exacerbate its risk and what can be done to address and prevent identified cases.
If you would like access to the video files in English or French please contact us. This film should only be used to raise awareness of forced labour and should not be used for money-making purposes. No edits can be made to the films and ICI should be clearly referenced when they are used.
These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.