The 5th Global Conference on the Elimination of Child Labour will be held from 15 - 20 May in Durban, South Africa. The conference, organized by the International Labour Organization and Alliance 8.7, brings together stakeholders across governments, civil society and industry to discuss best practices implemented by actors around the world, and to identify gaps and the urgent measures needed, to accelerate the elimination of both child and forced labour.
Over the past decade, significant efforts have been made to tackle child labour in the cocoa sector in West Africa. In order to explore how different actors can build on these efforts and accelerate progress, ICI, in collaboration with the Government of Côte d’Ivoire, will be organizing a side event at the conference called “Public and private sector collaboration: Integrated approaches to prevent and address child labour” on Wednesday 18th May, at 16h45 CEST. This event will be held in a hybrid format with physical participation possible at the International Conference Centre in Durban, South Africa and online via Zoom through a webinar link. Click here to join the webinar (pre-registration not available, this link can only be used to join the event at the time of the meeting).
With a focus on the cocoa sector, this event will explore the sector’s roll-out of effective Human Rights Due Diligence (HRDD) systems and services that prevent and address child labour, and the opportunities for more alignment, coherence and integration to accelerate sector-wide efforts.
During the session, speakers will:
- Explore the benefits that existing systems and services have for rightsholders, including children, their families and the communities in which they live;
- Review examples of collaboration, the alignment of efforts and integration of systems, including through landscape approaches; and
- Identify opportunities for improvement to maximize impact over time.
- Mr Dr Martin N'Guettia, Director of the « Direction de la Lutte Contre le Travail des Enfants », Ministry of Employment, Government of Côte d’Ivoire
- Ms Sarah Dekkiche, Director of Policy and Partnerships, ICI
- Mr Andrews Tagoe, Deputy General Secretary, Ghana Agricultural Workers Union
- Mr Jean-Marie Delon, Director of Sustainability, West Africa, Cargill
- Mr Charlie Watson, Human Rights Director, Japanese Tobacco International
Moderator: Ms Katie Bird, Communications Director, ICI
Pre-registration for this event is not possible, the following link can be used to join the webinar at 16:45 CEST on Wednesday, 18 May: https://itcilo-org.zoom.us/j/81814715553