Petit Odienné is a community in the South-West of Côte d’Ivoire, situated in the region of la Nawa in the sub-prefecture of Oupoyo. Petit Odienné is located 38 km from the next town, 18 km of the road is unpaved. According to estimates made by community leaders, the community has a population of 1,115, of which 371 are children. Linguistically and ethnically, the community is composed of Sénoufo, Baoulé, Agni, Bété, Burkinabé and Malien. The community has a primary school building with five classrooms and hosts 158 pupils and five teachers.
- There is no primary health centre within the community. The closest is 2 km away.
- There is a safe water point and sanitary facilities within the community.
- Establishment of a Community Child Protection Committee of eight people; establishment of a Community Service Group (CSG, members selected by community leaders based on voluntary membership, disponibility and motivation); establishment of a women’s group with 66 members based on voluntary membership
- Training of CCPC members on child labour
- Elaboration of a CAP (Community Action Plan), with all major socio-ethnic groups divided into five focus groups: community leaders, youth, women, children attending school and children not attending school
- Provision of equipment for the CCPC and the CSG (10 machetes, 1 file, 5 pairs of boots, 1 sprayer, 1 protective suit)
- Improved access to education through the construction and equipping of a school building, a block of latrines and three houses for teachers. The community also built and equipped a school canteen, directly benefiting 111 students. The number of children in school rose from 83 in 2013 to 158 in the school year 2015-2016, an increase of 90%.
- Better organisation of women. The women’s group has administrative documents and is officially recognized . Women have offered 234 kg of rice to the canteen through individual collections and the yields of their joint rice farm.
- Awareness-raising by the CCPC has strengthened the knowledge level of the population, improved the protection of children’s rights and has led to increased enrollment .
- The CSG has conducted over 30 services to the farmers for a total amount of 475,000 CFA francs and contributed 137 000 CFA francs for school construction. CSG members also participated physically in the school construction.